To enable Contract Managers and Supervisors, Foremen and Non-Working Chargehands to effectively plan, supervise and control scaffolding operations. The content of the course is designed to be comparable to the Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS).
Delegates will need to have a basic understanding of scaffolding.
Any physical impairment or literacy issues should be discussed during the booking stage to ensure we can best accommodate your needs.
5 consecutive days.
Lecture notes and audio/visual presentation.
Delegates are required to sit a written test and submit a project.
On successful completion of the course candidates will receive a CISRS certificate. The certificate will be sent directly to the delegate or their sponsor company.
Please Note: We will apply for the relevant card on successful completion of the CISRS SMST using the delegates Supervisor’s Heath, Safety and Environment Test or recognised exemption at Supervisory level through the CWA system.
Delegates must wear PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) during the practical aspects of the course. Delegates will be required to provide:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Boots
- High visibility vest or overalls (optional)
Meeting the needs and expectations of service users is of the highest priority to our staff. Therefore if you have any concerns or wish to make a comment about the service please contact us.
CISRS Scaffold Management and Supervisory cards last for 5 years and card holders will be required to attend a 2 day refresher of this course on a five yearly cycle prior to renewing their card.
Please note that that Supervisors Health, Safety and Environment tests are valid for 2 years from the pass date and therefore holding a valid CISRS card does not necessarily mean that your Health & Safety is still valid.
On successful completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the requirements of managing the health, safety and welfare of scaffolding operations in compliance with statutory regulations
- Effectively carry out scaffolding related Risk Assessments
- Compile scaffolding related Method Statements
- Understand scaffolding estimating principles
- Understand how to effectively plan, supervise and control scaffolding operations
- Understand the requirements for the inspection of scaffolds and the appropriate recording techniques
- Welcome and Introductions
- Course Content, Aims, and Objectives
Unit 1 – Health, Safety, and Welfare
- Legal Overview
- Principles of Managing Health, Safety, and Welfare
- Scaffolding Operations – Compliance Management
- Overview of Scaffolding Regulations
- Other relevant regulations (e.g. CDM)
- HSE Approved Codes of Practice (ACOPS) and Guidance
Unit 2 – Employment Basics
- Employment Law and Employment Contracts
- Selection and Recruitment of Staff
- Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
- Managing Absence
- Managing Conflict and Resolution
Unit 3 – Supervisory Skills
- Effective Supervision
- Work Planning and Scheduling
- Effective Communication
- Team Building
- Effective Meeting Skills
- Customer Relations and Customer Care
Unit 4 – Scaffold Erection, Dismantling, and Inspection
- Scaffold Regulations, Codes of Practice, and industry best practice guides
- British and European Standards
- Safe Erection and Dismantling of Scaffolds
- Statutory Scaffold Inspections, Inspection Practices and Reporting Systems
Unit 5 – Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- Principles of Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- NASC Safety and Technical Guidance
- Guide to Risk Assessments – SG7:09
- Guide for Scaffold Plans (Method Statements) – SG24:06
- Assessment Project – Risk Assessment and Method Statement
Unit 6 – Commercial Guidance on Scaffolding
- NASC Commercial Pitfalls for the Scaffolding Contractor – CG17:09
- Principles of Estimating for Supervisors – CG8:03
- Contract Management
- Variation and Change Management
- Valuations and Payments
- Payment disputes and remedies
- Commissioning and Handover of Scaffold Structures – SG35:11
Unit 7 Assessment
- Estimate, Risk Assessment and Method Statement Project
- Project Evaluation and Feedback
- Course Summary and Evaluation
Please contact us for further details.